Thursday 6 December 2012

Blogging: And why I'm not good at it.

I always wanted to be a blogger. I want to join the ranks at coffee shops, raiding their wireless while I sip a cinnamon latte and write about stuff that people find absolutely riveting, whilst avoiding getting blueberry muffin crumbs in my keyboard... You read other blogs and it looks so easy. 

It really isn't though, is it? Where do people find the content from?! Some people write about their own lives or experiences, and I just sit and think, well, what I did today does not equal to a good 500 words or so of quality reading. No way. My day infact consisted of begging my mom for a lift to work because the trains were still broken, being at work, coming home and eating beans on toast, and sitting here watching Green Wing whilst trying to write an amusing, interesting blog post.

Totally not interesting. Or do people just succeed in writing about mundane every day life in interesting ways?

I've just spent the past ten minutes googling such terms as "What can I blog about" and "Random blog topics" and seriously, the ideas alone bore me. I fear most the sites are faceless marketing sites that just pump out pre written articles to feed the masses, and therefore have no real meaning behind their suggestions anyway. So finding no inspiration there, I just started writing about my dilemma: Not Knowing What To Write About.

I seem to have done pretty well so far, I mean, I've got a fair few words down on the troubles of not having anything decent to write about in an entertaining manner. Tomorrow, I might sit for a while and try and write a list of interesting topics, but I don't think I will get past #2 before I think "Oh really, no one wants to read about that!". So we will see how that goes.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy lots of stuff. I'm just not sure it's stuff that other people will find interesting. Or, somehow, my opinion isn't valid, and no one gives two hoots why I enjoyed the latest Johnny Depp/Tim Burton collaboration, or why I think the new Derby rule set will be a winner. Does that then become a confidence problem? Do you really need the confidence to blog?! Maybe you do...


Anyway, before I bore you all to tears, I will wrap it up here. Maybe the key to writing a good blog is just writing. Sit down and let the keyboard guide you, who knows what you will end up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment