Thursday 13 December 2012

The gift of giving.

I was a pretty spiteful kid. I had an attitude problem and would throw a strop if someone close was seen to be getting more than me. I cheated at Monopoly. I always wanted what someone else had I threw a fit if I thought my brother had got more than me for Christmas.

To be honest, I think perhaps I wasn't a very nice person. I could blame this on the fact I was bullied if I wanted, but I think even if I hadn't had the tormenters at school, I probably, maybe, still wouldn't have been very nice to try and be friends with.

And it's not been very long since I "grew out" of this awful personality, probably only over the past 8 years or so. I'm glad I did. I couldn't imagine behaving the way I did growing up. I don't even know what changed, but these days, I have much more acceptance of a situation than I did back then. Perhaps this is what is referred to as "growing up".

In more recent years, I've found great happiness in the gift of giving. I think it comes from working in Customer Service for such a long while (Well, from when I left school), and being used to helping people.

My "career" (You can hardly call it that lol) has progressed from helping people in need of a printer cable (They don't come in the box!) to helping people in need of movie channels (Yes, they really do cost that much to add on), to helping people in financial difficulty.It's this last one that has really opened my eyes to how easy it can be to help someone.

I am fortunate that on a daily basis, I can help complete strangers with their difficulties, I get a lot of satisfaction out of my job, and have even felt myself on the point of tears at times because someone has been so grateful for my help. Job Satisfaction could not be any greater, considering this was not the plans I had when leaving school (I was going to be a West End Musical Star, don't you know!!).

The warm feeling from knowing you've helped people is fantastic, and so, I put together a few ideas on how we can all help people this Christmas.

Share with Single Parent Families
Do you know any single parent families? Do you know what they are doing this Christmas? Some of them might be fortunate enough to have other family to go to or have around, but there are an awful lot out there that don't.

Being a single parent can be very lonely, especially at this time of year. So check in with your Single Parent friend, and see if they are up to anything. Invite them over this Christmas, or offer to visit for a few hours.

It can also be a struggle financially as a Single Parent with no other support. Maybe a food parcel or hamper could help them out, or a few small gifts for the children. And don't forget a gift for mum or dad - they might not have any family around them to buy them gifts, and I bet they'd appreciate someone remembering them this year.You could also invite their family on an outing with yours, and have fun as a large family group.

Single parents may also spend a lot of time working to keep their family afloat. You could offer to babysit one of the nights over the festive period, and give them some time to let their hair down, or on the flip side, invite them out with you if they can get a sitter. If your children go to the same school, why not offer to take care of the school run for a couple of mornings?

Keep a check on our Senior Citizens
Look out for the senior citizens in your community this year. Like Single Parents, there might not be a lot of family about to come and visit or look out for them. And with cold weather and rising energy prices, more and more people are refusing to put on the heating to save money.

AS many as 25,000 people die each winter due to the cold. Age UK currently has a Spread the Warmth campaign, this page explains how they help. 

EDF offer a free room thermometer to help elderly and vulnerable people - you can find more information here - Click to read about EDF's free room thermometer .

Like our Single Parent friends, our elderly friends may appreciate some company - invite them over for a hot meal or a cup of tea, or if they arn't able to get out and about, pay them a visit and take some food with you. Many will appreciate your company and kindness this time of year.

You might be the only person they will see that day, if they are housebound or can't get around easily.

Offer to take them shopping, or do their shopping for them, and help make sure they have enough food in the house. Or offer the help out by cleaning for them, or checking in every morning or evening to make sure they are ok. Just a few minutes out of your day, could make all the difference to theirs.

Feed a Family This Christmas
Food banks are becoming ever more known for the support they give to families in temporary crisis. Care professionals such as doctors, health visitors, social workers, CAB and many other agencies identify people in crisis and issue them with a foodbank voucher. They can then recieve at least 3 days of food using the voucher to help them through a difficult time.

Food banks rely on donations from communities, churches, schools, businesses and general public to keep running. 

Why not put together a box of food to donate, hold a donation day at your workplace or your childs school -  You can help out by donating these items.

Pasta
Rice
Milk (UHT)
Sugar (500g)
Soup
Pasta sauces
Tinned tomatoes
Tinned beans or spaghetti
Tinned vegetables
Cereals
Tea bags
Tea bags
Instant coffee
Tinned meat
Tinned fish
Tinned fruit
Tinned desert
Custard
Rice pudding
Sponge puddings
Biscuits
Fruit Juice (cartons or cordial)

For more information, see Birmingham Central Foodbank or, view this map of UK foodbanks to find your nearest one.

A home for the homeless at Christmas
There are many ways you can support homeless people around this time of year. Here are a few suggestions:

Birmingham Christmas Shelter 
Birmingham Christmas Shelter depend entirely on volunteers, and donations - items like clothing, food and toiletries - to help support their open door shelter this Christmas.

Their doors are open 24 hours a day during Christmas week and, typically, they welcome between 50 and 150 guests on a daily basis, providing hot meals and drinks, entertainment and a safe and warm place to sleep.
 They aim to provide food, warmth, shelter and friendship to our guests, regardless of colour, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. 


The Bridge 
The Bridge provide family style homes for the marginalized members of society. The Bridge exists to bring hope to those who have no hope, to see those who are marginalised being supported and valued, and to see people set free from the limitations of life-controlling addictions. They rely on volunteers, see how you can get involved at the link above.

Centre Point
Sponsor a room at Centrepoint for just 40p a day and you'll help the homeless young people we work with to achieve independent, fulfilling lives.
Unlike some other homeless charities which concentrate on finding emergency shelter, we're committed to making a real and lasting difference to the lives of young people.
Becoming a room sponsor is quick, easy and incredibly rewarding. For just 40p a day you'll become an integral part of a homeless charity that's proven to help young people off the streets.

Other ways you can help
Here are some other charities that are making a difference this year:

Barnardo's Real Gifts 
Gifts you can buy for Barnardo's to give to children living in poverty.

Save The Children 
Providing help to children in poverty in the uk and in  overseas disasters, including refugee children in Syria.

Oxfam Unwrapped 
Buy a life changing gift, like a goat, chickens, or even an education.

Other ideas
Why not get in touch with your local womens refuge, orphanage, or homeless shelter and see if there are ways you can get involved and help this year?

Many of these places will welcome donations of household items, food and toiletries, and gifts for children.

Thank you for reading. I really hope you find a bit of joy in helping others this year. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment