Tuesday 12 February 2013

Fairwell, Facebook.

Time without Facebook: 1hr 15 minutes, roughly. 

At midnight (ok, thereabouts, maybe a few minutes past) I signed out of Facebook on my phone, and removed the icon from the main screen.

I made sure I left contact details in case people need them. If you came here looking for them, you can comment on the blog, or use the email/twitter links provided on this page. :)

A couple of things:

Why didn't I deactivate my profile?
- Because my boyfriend asked me not to. He was concerned it would mess up his relationship status, and all the photos I have tagged him in, which it would. So, I uploaded a picture with writing on it saying I wasn't using Facebook, and made a status explaining thus.

Why didn't I uninstall the app?
 - Because I have tried this before, in order to fix the app on my phone, and it doesn't seem to work. Smart phones FORCE YOU to have Facebook. Well, that is how it seems, I am sure if I tried hard enough I would find a way, but I don't want to mess anything up, so will just leave it there, lurking in the list of apps I have.

What will I do while I am away from Facebook?
  - Read
       I have much catching up to do with unread books.

 - Learn Dutch. Or try to.
     In August, me and Mr Wolf are planning to go to a festival in Amsterdam. I want to try and learn some useful phrases and such.

 - Work out. Go for a walk. Do something other than just sitting.
     Doesn't need an explination.

 - Be creative
     I am losing my creativity and this is sad. I need to pick up my guitar again. Play around on photoshop again.  Take photos again. Write that book I always thought I would write. Even just get the craft stuff out and cover shit in glitter again. ^_^

 - Not be so ignorant.
     Because when you are reading Facebook on your phone, conversation suffers. I will admit, many a time, when Mr Wolf is talking to me, not hearing what he just said, and just mumbling the right sounding words in his direction. This is AWFUL. It must stop.

 - Not have to ask what I just missed in the TV program I'm watching
    Irritating. Enough said.

Speaking of TV programs, another thing that really spurred on my decision to do this was watching the recent episode of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror  - entitled Be Right Back*.

It features a dude who uses his phone so much, technology is capable of creating a replica of him just using the information stored about him from social networking?

At the start of the episode, the guy in question is constantly looking at his phone. To the point where his girlfriend is stood in the pouring rain trying to get his attention to open the car door for her because she's got her hands full of scalding hot coffee. And still, door open, he returns to his phone instead of offering to help with the cups of coffee so she can get in the car.

A little later she makes him put the phone in the glove box so he can't use it. Again, later in the program, he is shown paying far too much attention to his social networking to realise his girlfriend just offered to serve him soup in a shoe.

That is what I was turning in to. And I found it annoying to watch. I don't want to be that, I don't want to be sidetracked by social networking so very much that the people I am around get irritated or dismiss me because my attention is not with them, it is with Facebook. 

Tomorrow will be the start of me reclaiming my life, instead of filling it with what everyone else is doing in theirs.


*You can watch Black Mirror: Be Right Back on 4 on Demand here --> Black Mirror 4OD
(may only work in the UK, sorry folks)

No comments:

Post a Comment