Wednesday 13 February 2013

Life without Facebook: Day 1

This morning, I woke up, crawled out of bed, went downstairs and made pancakes for breakfast.

Seriously. I did this before even making tea, or lighting a cigarette. Weird, for me at least.

I checked twitter. I checked instagram. I read the forum I frequent. And then I got ready for work and left.

What is weird, is life without Facebook seems an awful lot...quieter. Not that Facebook was loud, although, I suppose it is in a way.

It's like a lot of little voices have stopped in my head. Instead of my brain managing the thoughts of me + 100 or so other peoples daily lives, today, it was only really thinking about mine. Its really quite nice.

I suppose, in a way,  Facebook is inviting every other persons thoughts into your head unknowingly. It certainly was the way I was using it, unable to go 10 minutes without checking for new status updates. Maybe, in some subconcious way, being up to date with everyone clutters the mind somewhat. You may not realise it, but the thoughts are there.

Is it possible our brain is still processing other peoples problems, thoughts, ideas and issues once it's consumed them, no matter how much you think it's just innocently keeping up with other people?

Today I read this article: Five Ways Facebook Can Be Bad For Your Mental Health

But the part that rang true with myself was:

"Dr. Charles also found that many become stressed at the thought of missing out on something good posted to the site, a phenomenon now known as the “fear of missing out,” which has become so widespread it has its own acronym (FOMO)."

This is why, I believe, I had to religiously read Facebook right back to the last status update I could remember reading the last time I looked at it. Strangely, today, I haven't really felt like I have missed out on anything.

 This is perhaps because I did not go the whole day without looking at Facebook in some form. Mr Wolf is not very technically minded, and asked me to help him upload a picture to his page. And he showed me some photos of a mutual friend in her pants (True story) but beyond that, I didn't log in or read anything of my own.

Mr Wolf did kindly tell me some people had commented on my last status advising of my Facebook Holiday, and read the replies out to me. 

I don't know if Izzy reads my blog, but I wanted to let her know, yes, there is some kind of inner peace existing outside of Facebook, and that so far, I have spent my time catching up on the book I am reading (Being at work, and on late shifts, I haven't had an awful lot of spare time!).

In other, none Facebook related news, my mum bought me a lovely new cardigan today, black, made of lovely chunky knit wool, and very cosy for this wintry weather we are having.

Mr Wolf cooked us a lovely roast chicken and cous cous for supper, and our Dogs D'amour tickets turned up in the post this morning for their show in Wolverhampton on the 3rd of March. It is the original line up and I'm very excited for it.

I shall leave you with my favourite Dogs D'amour song, as I feel I have rambled enough for today, and want to go have one last cup of tea and a good read of my book before bed. :)


"Well in to the bright lights, the rain in the gutters still the same, washing twice as many young, hopeful hearts down the drain..."

2 comments:

  1. I think the 'missing out' feeling is definitely part of it. The other bit is simply "habit"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, habit was a big part of it, facebook can definatly be addictive! According to some studies, worse to break than smoking! Maybe once I quit this one I will tackle that next!

      Delete